Monday, December 29, 2008

Adventures in New Yorker Land

Wow. A lot has changed since my last post. (Since I only update every few months, this is expected.) Still, here's the news. I'm moving to Brooklyn, New York to live in my sister and brother-in-law's spare bedroom.
How can this be happening? Economics. I got the degree, now I have to pay for it and with the hiring freeze that's happening in so many libraries, I'm sinking fast. My relatives have tossed me a line that will allow me to keep my head above water long enough for a) the hiring freeze to thaw or b) me to find another way for my degree to start paying for itself. This is a good chance for me, so I have to take it.
New York is a big, confusing place that reminds me that even though I have lived in a semi-large city like Knoxville, I haven't lived in a big city yet. This country girl is fighting hard not to feel intimidated. I move slower, talk slower, (I hope I don't think slower), and my fashion sense has been known to stray into tacky territory. New York has never been a place that I dreamed about living in. I think Seattle was my chosen territory for teen aged daydreams until I realized that I'm not fond of constant rain and that flannel rock had died with Kurt Cobain. Maybe the fact that I haven't daydreamed about New York will make its reality easier to take. Who knows?
I thought about ending this update with a list of all of the things I'm going to miss once I move to New York, but that's not the right attitude to take. Rather than be bittersweet, here's a list of things I will like about New York.

1. Food. You name it, they got it. You have to jump a train for an hour to get it, but it will be worth it.
2. Events. How many times have I wished to see a concert or attend a book signing only to hear that it happening only in the major cities like New York and L.A?
3. Surprises. (Hopefully the good kind.) There's always something unexpected around the bend.

I suspect that a lot of my frustrations and ponderings will filter out through this blog in upcoming weeks. Stay tuned.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger typingelbow said...

Mary B.... taking NYC by storm!

Monday, December 29, 2008  
Blogger ronie said...

I am sure the Butler sisters will run the city by the end of the year. Good Luck John!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home