Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Somebody's Gotten Married!!

As of Sunday, my sister is Mrs. Elisabeth Cordova. The days leading up to the ceremony were a blur of food, laughter, singing, varying views of Los Angeles via the highway, family hugs, and did I mention food? Apparently waiting for a wedding makes everyone ravenous. I have never enjoyed midnight pizza, cake by the beach, and room service as much as I did on this trip.
The ceremony was beautiful with John looking sharp in his tuxedo and Elisabeth glowing in her amazing white gown. I had to discreetly wipe my eyes (and my bright red nose!) with the the hanky I'd hidden in my bodice for just that purpose.
Speaking of my bodice, I may take up wearing a corset on a regular basis. Not only do I stand straighter and fit into ballgowns easier, wearing a corset makes a not so talented dancer look like she knows what she's doing! Normally, my rhythm is a bit off, but with my waist cinched like Scarlett O'Hara I can move like a pendulum! With my upper body fused thanks to the mechanical genius within the corset, my shoulders dip to the left as my hips are forced to rise to the right. I shook my groove thing like a wild woman and loved every minute of the wedding reception.
My duties as a bridesmaid went very well. I ran interference when it was called for, I made a mad drive in a convertible VW Beetle to pick up a special piece of my sister's trousseau (15 minutes to drive there, shop, and get back in time to climb into my rig/dress), and I made a fool of myself to help make my sister's wedding pictures extra nice. My sister has this terrific laugh and in order to make an opportunity for the photographer to capture it on film, I stood behind him and sang the "Somebody's Getting Married," song from the Muppets Take Manhattan movie (at the top of my lungs and off key to boot) in order to crack my sister up.
Oh! I also caught the bouquet! I don't recall elbowing anyone in the face in order to get it, but perhaps I should wait for any possible victim's amnesia to wear off before I relax. What was really amazing was that my little 14 year old brother made a flying leap to catch the garter. He then promptly took it over to the young lady he'd been flirting with too. Oh lord, my little brother is a ladies man. Heaven help us all.
I am still glowing with the happiness my sister's wedding generated. Big events like these are like bells ringing; they resonate long after the event is over with and I am so glad that this bell is ringing with joy. All hail the marriage of the Prince and Princess!

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael L. Hess said...

I need to say that Mary Butler's words are a little self-effacing. From what I heard, she did a fantastic job doing things for her sister. She also danced up quite a storm, and having served as her dancing partner on a couple of occasions where I had the opportunity to lead her in some swing dance moves, she follows marvelously - she will make a good ballroom dancer if she ever decides to try it out. Finally, I must say , Mary, that one of the pleasures of the wedding, besides watching your wonderful and obviously happy older sister, was seeing you and seeing the self-confidence and worldliness you seem to have picked up from all your life experiences since I met you in New Orleans for the first time. You appeared happy and at ease with your life, and it looked as good as the bridesmaid's dress on you!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007  
Blogger typingelbow said...

Amen to Mikey's comment! I was so proud of you, out there shaking your tailfeathers and chatting everyone up! yahoo!!

Monday, July 02, 2007  
Blogger ronie said...

Thanks for the posting. I love getting the information and can't wait for more pictures. I am so happy you guys had such a fabulous time!!

Friday, July 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home