Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Holiday Daze

Finals have wrapped up on the UT campus, so my job at in the library Mac lab went from helping hordes of half-crazed journalism students try to finish their movie projects (It's due in an hour and I've never used this editing program before today! Help!!) to me having time to sit and contemplate my latest blog entry. While the Mac lab has slowed down, my other job at an independent bookstore has taken off like a rocket. I ring up sales, give book talks about the bestsellers, and wrap gifts until my hands are mummified by scotch tape. I prefer our busy days because my shifts are over in a flash.
My grandmother has made it possible for me to fly out to Oklahoma for Christmas so I get to see 75% of my family. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. Excited because I love my family and seeing them for Christmas is an awesome gift. Nervous because my family has known for a few months that my grandmother has been diagnosed with cancer and, while the prognosis is good, feelings are still a little scrambled. This is the first time I have said those words in print. I think that I've been letting school, dating (yes, I said dating), and holiday shopping keep me pleasantly distracted from the fact that my grandmother is going through a very difficult period of her life and I realize how distant I've been from her when she needs her family the most. Oy.
When I called my grandmother last night, she sounded the way she always does: full of quiet optimism and faith that God is going to do what He will with her. Her come-what-may attitude gave me more peace of mind than anything else. If she can stay calm despite everything, I would be a sorry person if I couldn't take her advice and show some faith. So there. Bring on Christmas and the days to follow. I am going to greet each day with my eyes (and heart) open. Merry Christmas to all!

4 Comments:

Blogger typingelbow said...

Well said, pumpkin. Sniff...

Wednesday, December 12, 2007  
Blogger Michael L. Hess said...

It's amazing how people we know are so brave staring danger straight in the face and go about normal business. Your grandmother is a strong woman, has lived through a lot and will slap that cancer around like the proverbial red-headed stepchild. Our many thoughts will be with you, EB, your mom and grandmom this Christmas. Have fun and party like it's the last one, because it won't be, but you'll have plenty of lampshade on the head stories to tell your grandkids.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have such wonderful children!!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007  
Blogger saynotoabortion said...

You are an awesome and amazing person...no matter what...never forget the wonderful things you have learned from your grandmother...especially about worry and faith.

Saturday, January 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home