Sunday, January 11, 2009

Moving Chronicles

I packed my collection of books today. A mixture of science fiction, swords & sorcery, and other whimsical titles are all neatly boxed up and awaiting the final layer of packing tape. I'm becoming an old hand at packing up my things and saying goodbye to friends. From home to dorm. From dorm to apartment. From apartment to graduate school. Now from grad school to the Big Apple. My uncle commented on our possible gypsy blood that calls on us to uproot every few years, and I can understand what he meant.
When I left Fayetteville, Arkansas, I promised friends that I'd return with my graduate degree to see them again. Their e-mails stopped about six months into my program. Now, it was a mutual growing apart as it is hard to keep ties when life takes you in different directions. (Happily, family and friends from other places keep popping into my life.) I was lucky in Fayetteville, that I hadn't met anyone (romantically) that could tie a string to my heart. This move, I'm a little less fortunate. I finally met someone, but while he has a firm grip on one of my heart strings, I am considered to be only a friend to him. I met the girl he started dating over New Year's and I wished them well. Argh.
New York will be my new challenge. I doubt that I will be looking for love anytime soon, but I'm told that when you're not looking, it sneaks up on you. We'll see. I'm going to be so busy trying to find work in a library, everything else will fall to the wayside. Or I might take up roller derby...whichever works best.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger typingelbow said...

I don't have to wish them well, do I? I mean, I could do all the necessary glaring and growling on your behalf, right?

Grrrrr....

Monday, January 12, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home